- NEWTONSHAW, a village, in the parish and county of Clackmannan, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Alloa; containing 798 inhabitants. This place, also called Newton of Sauchie, was originally built for the accommodation of the work-people employed by the Devon Iron Company; and is situated about a mile south of the river Devon, and on the road from Tillicoultry to Alloa. Considerable mining operations are carried on in the neighbourhood. A school here has been for some years well taught and well attended; the school has a garden, and a few pounds per year are regularly given by the Earl of Mansfield to assist in the maintenance of the teacher.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Clackmannan — CLACKMANNAN, the county town, and a parish, in the county of Clackmannan, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Alloa; containing, with the villages of Newtonshaw and Kennet, 5145 inhabitants, of whom 1077 are in the town. This place, of which the name, in… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland